What do we need from Bugzilla? (was: My roadmap for a better Fedora)

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Thu Nov 27 17:28:05 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-25 at 23:06 +1100, David Timms wrote:
> David Timms wrote:
> > Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> >> My question is, what do we need/want/like from Bugzilla?
> > wishes:
> >   - a separate by-line for me-too comments (eg I got that on x86_64, I
> > got it on a "piece of old carpet" things that people tend to add to
> > bugzilla / bugs.launchpad etc. These can server as breadth of issue
> > marker, but aren't really clarifying a bug, with option to add hardware
> > id from smolt. [ x ] I experienced this symptom and my smolt hardware
> > dsecription is [http://smotls.y.z/12345656]
> >
> >     - a way to mark a me-too comment as "me-too".
>
> Just came across following which provides another viewpoint:
> http://linuxhaters.blogspot.com/2008/08/one-bug-report-to-rule-them-all.html

What would be useful is something like comments on Slashdot or Digg,
useless comments can be folded out of the way. Also a way to just move
comments from one bug to another.

Hey why not bite the bullet and go to fully threaded comments. :P Noisy
conversations aren't exactly a new area of software engineering. We just
need to be mindful of the proven designs that have existed for decades.
(Mail readers, mailing lists, usenet...)