tab completion less useful now, due to sbin in path

Conrad Meyer konrad at tylerc.org
Wed Oct 1 02:38:44 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 30 September 2008 07:24:58 pm Matthew Miller wrote:
> Grumble grumble.
>
> I'm finding having sbin in my user path really annoying. I go to type
> 'killall firefox' using tab completion, and killall5 (which says in its man
> page "Its primary (only) use is in the rc scripts"!) is in the way. I go to
> run firefox again, and I'm impeded by firstboot. Etc., etc., etc.
>
> This change is not for the better, and doesn't fit the stated goal of "sbin
> sanity".
>
> The sudo change was good, and helped out. Moving useful binaries out of
> sbin and into bin would have been a good path. Throwing everything into one
> pot is a regression.
>
> Now, I hear you saying already: "stop whining, Matthew. Just put it the way
> you want in your dotfiles". Well, okay, I have. But I don't want to just
> set a static path since I want /etc/profile.d to still work. So I've got to
> do an active munging sed script. Ugh.
>
> We've just made the command line a lot less user friendly for common use in
> exchange for an ugly fix to a small inconvenience. *Any* chance of putting
> this back and working at fixing the problem the hard but correct way?

This seems more a complaint that tab completion is different from what you're
used to. Many users feel the opposite (they add sbin to PATH in their
dotfiles) and won't notice the change. For users new to linux and Fedora,
sbin being in PATH gives them a better user experience than 'bash: foo:
command not found' errors when they try to follow some guide on the web.

Regards,
--
Conrad Meyer <konrad at tylerc.org>