pulse-rt by default?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Mon Oct 6 02:18:38 UTC 2008

On Sun, 05.10.08 20:46, Callum Lerwick (seg at haxxed.com) wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-10-05 at 20:29 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can I suggest that we consider adding new desktop users on a fresh
> > install to pulse-rt by default? Or, put another way, does anyone think
> > this is a particularly bad idea to be doing?
>
> Seems kind of pointless. If you're running low on CPU time, giving
> pulseaudio priority will likely just result in client buffers running
> dry anyway. Is there anything in place to take care of the priority
> inversion problem? I know jackd/jacklib has some scheduling magic in
> it...

I am not sure you fully understand what real-time is about. It is not
about giving some process "priority". That's what nice levels are for.

Taking care of the "priority inversion problem"? There is no need for
anyone to work around that, since we have PTHREAD_PRIO_INHERIT which
PA has been using for quite a while (although we are mostly lock-less
now).

Lennart