procedure for renaming a package

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Oct 6 15:10:34 UTC 2008

On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 23:09:14 -0700
jkeating at j2solutions.net ("Jesse Keating") wrote:

> Renaming a package is just bringing in the new package, getting it
> reviewed, particularly for correct Provides/Obsoletes, and then
> requesting that the old named package be removed.

Note, that I don't think we should remove the old package, we should
simply follow the normal end of life procedure for it.

Then, people looking for it under the old name will see a dead.package
in cvs and that will point them to the new package. History will be
preserved, etc.

I guess we should have a clear guideline on this. I will see about
submitting one to the packaging folks.

> Jes

kevin