rawhide report: 20081006 changes

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 18:33:35 UTC 2008

On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 10:19:46 -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:

> The yum folks are still looking into it.  The really bizarre thing is
> that there is no problem with the package itself, in fact it's seen in
> other arches, and in those other arch directories it's a hardlink back
> to the actual file somewhere else on the filesystem.  That's the way it
> is for each of those arch trees.  It's a real headscratcher of a
> problem.

Unless I'm misreading the code, it's a race-condition. mash creates the
metadata for all architectures in parallel. One process per arch. The
createrepo checksum cache file I/O [1] is not protected against concurrent
access. With odd timing, it can happen that one process reads an empty
checksum file that has just been opened for writing by another process.
Give it a try. Add a safety check after reading a checksum file.