Taking fedora-devel into consideration [Was: Re: tab completion less useful now, due to sbin in path]

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Oct 8 19:31:15 UTC 2008

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 12:48:54 +0200
mcepl at redhat.com (Matej Cepl) wrote:

> On 2008-10-07, 06:37 GMT, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > Afaics and iirc it was announced just 24 hours before the
> > meeting in question that the sbin feature is going to be
> > discussed:
> > https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-August/msg00806.html
> >
> > Do you consider that enough time to voice objections? I don't. But
> > that's IMHO not a problem in our workflow, as we afaics always can
> > make adjustments even when things got decided.
>
> And I think, this is much more important than the matter here
> itself. Last year there was another huge flamewar about replacing
> sysvinit with upstart. Lot and lot of well argued arguments were
> thrown against upstart (it doesn't make much difference, only
> trouble) so I thought that this idea is safely in the grave.
> Except couple of weeks after the last flames were vanquished, yum
> brought me upstart replacing sysvinit.

Did this email come from the past? Do we really want to talk about
upstart again?

> Does anybody from FESCO cares about what's discussed here, or do
> they let us waste our time and decide whatever they wanted all
> the time anyway?

I don't speak for FESCo, but I do care what gets discussed here.
I however don't think it should just be a majority rule or 'he who
shouts loudest' or even 'who we think "won" the discussion.

There were good reasons for Upstart, and a majority of FESCo decided
the feature was worth it. I think the mailing lists (and the FUDcon
session on upstart) were both valuable input into this decision making.

> (sorry for offended tone of the message, but I am offended by
> this),

I'm sorry you're offended. We can't please everyone all the time with
every decision. If you don't like the decisions, feel free to run for
FESCo and/or vote/not vote for people who you disagree with.

> Matěj

kevin