Disappointed: My feature was removed without noticing me

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Oct 8 20:13:28 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 12:47:02PM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > [...]  I also think that FESCo members shouldn't comment on
> > proposals unless they are technically au fait with them.  This means
> > FESCo members taking some time each week to do technical work with the
> > projects.
> >
> I think this is coming at it wrong but then I haven't been involved with
>  FESCo or the Feature process since it was first proposed and voted on.
>  at that time we envisioned FESCo having the following reasons to review:
[.. feature stuff ..]
> The amount of technical knowledge needed for 1 and 2 is not large.  For
> 3 there's some technical knowledge but also non-tecnhnical concerns like
> how much time the Feature owner has to devote to the process.  #4 does
> require a technical evaluation.

My point above maybe doesn't refer only to the feature process, but it
is important for the MinGW acceptance process.

There have been all sorts of claims flying around about MinGW.  From
my point of view, as an "expert" or at least as someone who has done a
lot of practical work packaging stuff for MinGW, those claims look ...
well ... detached from reality.

So I'm convinced that if members of the 'Fedora hierarchy', FESCo,
board, etc., would actually take the time to do some work in MinGW
packaging, then at least they'd be speaking from a position of
knowledge.  It needn't be a lot of technical work, but some would
help.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top