Disappointed: My feature was removed without noticing me

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 20:22:12 UTC 2008

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 12:47:02PM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>>> [...]  I also think that FESCo members shouldn't comment on
>>> proposals unless they are technically au fait with them.  This means
>>> FESCo members taking some time each week to do technical work with the
>>> projects.
>>>
>> I think this is coming at it wrong but then I haven't been involved with
>>  FESCo or the Feature process since it was first proposed and voted on.
>>  at that time we envisioned FESCo having the following reasons to review:
> [.. feature stuff ..]
>> The amount of technical knowledge needed for 1 and 2 is not large.  For
>> 3 there's some technical knowledge but also non-tecnhnical concerns like
>> how much time the Feature owner has to devote to the process.  #4 does
>> require a technical evaluation.
>
> My point above maybe doesn't refer only to the feature process, but it
> is important for the MinGW acceptance process.
>
> There have been all sorts of claims flying around about MinGW.  From
> my point of view, as an "expert" or at least as someone who has done a
> lot of practical work packaging stuff for MinGW, those claims look ...
> well ... detached from reality.
>
> So I'm convinced that if members of the 'Fedora hierarchy', FESCo,
> board, etc., would actually take the time to do some work in MinGW
> packaging, then at least they'd be speaking from a position of
> knowledge.  It needn't be a lot of technical work, but some would
> help.

Looking at things the other way, a lot of the things that you claim are
specific for MinGW whereas FESCo is designing something that applies to
cross-compilation in general.  So far, I've liked what danpb and dwmw2
have had to say on the issues....  Maybe they should be on the
presidential ticket :-)

-Toshio