Taking fedora-devel into consideration [Was: Re: tab completion less useful now, due to sbin in path]

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 22:54:46 UTC 2008

Matej Cepl wrote:

> Actually, I really cannot care less about whether sysvinit is
> better than Upstart (or other way around) -- I am a desktop guy
> and whatever gets me to gdm is good enough for me.

I remember there was a flamewar but I don't remember all that was said
or where it concluded.  I do recall that Casey Dahlin decided we needed
to write our own init replacement somewhere near the end of it.  Then we
had a FUDCon and Casey pitched a session on defining the feature set we
wanted in a rewritten init.  At that session, people decided that
upstart either had all the features that had been mentioned or was
actively working on adding them.  After that, it was a matter of the
people who cared about a new init system were doing the work to get
upstart merged so FESCo approved that work as a feature.

-Toshio