Fedora 10 Live CD services (all necessary?)

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Thu Oct 9 16:52:22 UTC 2008

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Valent Turkovic wrote:
>
>> I would like to see the following services should be disabled by
>> default:
>>
>> anacron         0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
>> atd             0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
>>
>> I don't need schedulers, it some critical part of Fedora doesn't need
>> I don't see the need for it on a desktop system. Others that need it
>> also know where to find it and enable it.
>
> You keep repeating "I don't need it" but the Live CD isn't designed
> exclusively for any single person. It is a general purpose system and
> defaults needs to meet the requirements of typical desktop user. So
> the real questions are "Why is this service enabled by default? What
> typical desktop use cases that does it solve?"

It might even help to break it down further: 1) During and till the end
of boot-up and before user interaction, does anything use any of these
services? 2) In the course of system usage, what activities or apps
would require that these services be running? 3) In case needed, is
there a way to autostart them? (That last question reminds me of the
time the issue came up where other services' premature startup's
correctness was questioned, including PulseAudio.)

Unfortunately, for every argument that states that LiveCD's use is
temporal, others would claim to leaving it on for several days, possible
requiring log rotation and updating of the mlocate db ... unless the
definition of LiveCD target audience is already pinned down.
--

Richi Plana