Fedora 10 Live CD services (all necessary?)

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 16:55:52 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 6:31 PM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Valent Turkovic wrote:
>
>> I would like to see the following services should be disabled by default:
>>
>> anacron         0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
>> atd             0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
>>
>> I don't need schedulers, it some critical part of Fedora doesn't need
>> I don't see the need for it on a desktop system. Others that need it
>> also know where to find it and enable it.
>
> You keep repeating "I don't need it" but the Live CD isn't designed
> exclusively for any single person. It is a general purpose system and
> defaults needs to meet the requirements of typical desktop user. So the real
> questions are "Why is this service enabled by default? What typical desktop
> use cases that does it solve?"
>
> Rahul

I wrote "I don't need it" repeatedly on purpose because Naheem said
that I need to do investigate which services need to be turned on.
Well I don't have extensive knowledge about other user and their
habbits, and about some particular cases in which some service would
be needed, but I have general knowledge, my own needs of services as
an desktop user and did research regarding which services are used for
what.

I also said that I'm a "above average desktop user" so you could also
replace "I don't need" with "average desktop used doesn't need".

I believe that services should be regarded with the same attitude as
open ports on a firewall. Some long time ago all ports were open and
only "bad ones" were open, now all are closed and only explicitly ones
are opened. Also all security and administration Rad Hat guides say
that all unnecessary services should be turned off, and only turned on
if explicitly needed.

That is why I believe that ALL services should be disabled, and then
for each one there should be some kind of explanation why this service
absolutely needs to be enabled. All the rest services should be left
disabled by default.

Cheers,
Valent.

--