Tangent: recording upstream scm locations and contact info

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Thu Oct 9 17:11:44 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 09:09:44AM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
>On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 10:28 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Insist that we use fedorahosted.org or other project hosting websites
>> whenever we are upstream for a project? It certainly makes it easier for
>> others to consume our bits when they don't have to crawl through source
>> rpm packages. SRPM dumps are a horrible way to manage upstream source
>> code anyway.
>
>Only if we allow source repo tags to be a suitable source distribution
>method.  Since fedorahosted still doesn't have an easy to use way of
>distributing tarballs, and getting the code via a scm checkout is quite
>easy, it should suffice.

On a tangential note, I'd _love_ it if specfiles started growing
metadata pointing back to upstream scm repos and development fora. This
is important to me because I have set myself a personal goal to make it
as easy as I can to go from OLPC's builds to patches delivered to
upstream developers; hence anything I can do which removes steps like
'find the upstream SCM' or 'find the upstream mailing list' from that
workflow is a Good Thing in my book.

Michael

P.S. - I'd definitely appreciate it if folks who are more knowledgable
about Fedora and RPM could suggest ways that I might pursue this goal
within the larger Fedora/RPM community.