Tangent: recording upstream scm locations and contact info

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Thu Oct 9 23:55:34 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 10:03:34PM +0200, Till Maas wrote:
>On Thu October 9 2008, Michael Stone wrote:
>
>> On a tangential note, I'd _love_ it if specfiles started growing
>> metadata pointing back to upstream scm repos and development fora. This
>
>> P.S. - I'd definitely appreciate it if folks who are more knowledgable
>> about Fedora and RPM could suggest ways that I might pursue this goal
>> within the larger Fedora/RPM community.
>
>Why do you want it in the specfile? Imho it would fit better within the
>packagedb. There it should be also easier to add it, given that packagedb
>upstream accepts patches for this.

I suggested spec-files because I'm somewhat familiar with them, because
they don't have downtime, because they're included in SRPMs which I have
to preserve no matter what, and because I have to deal with a small
number of packages which are not yet available in Fedora (or which are
forked).

Does storing the information in packagedb have some compelling benefit
that compensates for dealing with these hassles by other means?

Thanks,

Michael