tab completion less useful now, due to sbin in path

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Oct 10 08:34:59 UTC 2008

Callum Lerwick <seg <at> haxxed.com> writes:
> Wouldn't work. You'd either have one package with a mess of dangling
> symlinks, or you'd need a symlink package per main package which would
> be as much or more work than just putting it in the main package to
> begin with.

That's why Les said "if the target executable doesn't exist you aren't any
worse off with the symlink than without". Now that's a statement one can agree
or disagree with. I for one think having stuff in /usr/bin which points nowhere
is broken and it could actually make tab completion even less useful than the
status quo (depending on how smart the tab completion is with respect to broken
symlinks). So I think that, while this wasn't necessarily a bad idea in
principle, in practice (as you say) it won't work.

        Kevin Kofler