[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Oct 10 16:08:24 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell <lesmikesell <at> gmail.com> writes:
> What we need for the same effect now is for the versions of fedora that
> provide the initial RHEL cuts to offer a seamless update to the subsequent
> matching CentOS, repointing to its update repositories for continued support.

I'm afraid that's not possible, because Fedora (even the previous version of
it!) keeps getting version updates after RHEL gets branched and RHEL doesn't
get most of them, so even the upgrade path from Fedora n-1 to a RHEL based on
Fedora n can't be guaranteed, not even at the very moment RHEL gets released,
and thus not at any point in time.

The development branch for RHEL would have to be opened up (and EPEL maintained
against it, too) for a proposal like yours to work, and I don't think Red Hat
is prepared to do that; additionally, you'd also have to hop off Fedora to
there exactly at the right point in time, because Fedora would continue getting
updates, not all of which will end up in RHEL.

        Kevin Kofler