CMake!

Braden McDaniel braden at endoframe.com
Fri Oct 10 21:31:35 UTC 2008

Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-10-10 at 15:56 -0400, Braden McDaniel wrote:

>>> CMake! Catch the wave!
>>>
>>> http://www.cmake.org/
>> Um, no. That's not what he asked for.
>>
>> If you want upstream to stop using libtool altogether, find a suitable
>> replacement and convince the Automake developers to use it instead.
>
> Why the h8? He was speaking in the context of "the state of the art" and
> in my oh-so-humble opinion CMake is it.

No, he was speaking in terms of something that could replace libtool
upstream in (presumably some relatively high percentage of) 300
packages. And CMake is so, *so* not it. I don't know if anything is
"it". But the notion that Fedora is going to get ~300 upstream projects
to make wholesale changes to their build systems is profoundly detached
from reality.

> The whole of the Autotools stack
> is very much... not.

Maybe. But a tool that is less extensible than them is likely to be
perceived as a step in the wrong direction by a fair number of build
system maintainers.

> Last I checked I was just some random guy on the
> internet who has sadly not been granted the power to force anyone to do
> anything.

You have the power to affect the signal-to-noise ratio. Please use it
wisely.

--
Braden McDaniel                      e-mail: <braden at endoframe.com>
<http://endoframe.com>               Jabber: <braden at jabber.org>