[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Oct 10 23:10:10 UTC 2008

Behdad Esfahbod <behdad <at> behdad.org> writes:
> The major problem Wikipedia faced seems to me more being that
> Fedora/RHEL/CentOS is not really upgradeable, whereas Debian/Ubuntu handled
> upgrades quite nicely.  *That* seems to be a major weakness of us.

The same "apt-get dist-upgrade" which works on Debian/Ubuntu just works here
too (with apt-rpm - I've done several upgrades to the next Fedora release that
way), as does yum (which is better supported and nowadays also more reliable).
And don't forget that Anaconda also supports upgrades (for RHEL, "upgrade"
or "upgradeany" is your friend; you can even switch from RHEL/CentOS to Fedora
with upgradeany (the opposite will only work properly if your Fedora is
completely outdated though)).

         Kevin Kofler