[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 10 23:47:26 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-10 at 19:27 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Behdad Esfahbod <behdad <at> behdad.org> writes:
> >> The major problem Wikipedia faced seems to me more being that
> >> Fedora/RHEL/CentOS is not really upgradeable, whereas Debian/Ubuntu handled
> >> upgrades quite nicely.  *That* seems to be a major weakness of us.
> >
> > The same "apt-get dist-upgrade" which works on Debian/Ubuntu just works here
> > too (with apt-rpm - I've done several upgrades to the next Fedora release that
> > way), as does yum (which is better supported and nowadays also more reliable).
> > And don't forget that Anaconda also supports upgrades (for RHEL, "upgrade"
> > or "upgradeany" is your friend; you can even switch from RHEL/CentOS to Fedora
> > with upgradeany (the opposite will only work properly if your Fedora is
> > completely outdated though)).
>
> You certainly "can", but does it "work"?

It really depends on the package set you've got.

If you're talking about a server w/o an infinite set of pkgs installed,
sure, it's doable.

If you're talking about an ornate and baroque pkg selection on a server
which does a bazillion things, no, it won't be a clean process. notably,
it won't be clean on ANY distro.

-sv