young Fedora torrents spread data too slowly

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Sat Oct 11 21:11:36 UTC 2008

Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Oct 2008, Denis Leroy wrote:
>
>> Mike McGrath wrote:
>>> I'm not saying something isn't wrong.  I'm saying I'm not seeing it and if
>>> I can't see it I don't know how I'm going to fix it.  Can anyone give me
>>> speeds for any other torrent besides ours?
>> Well I just added the Fedora 9 i686 live CD for comparison, I'm getting 1.0
>> MBytes per second.
>>

> So, on a new, less popular torrent like the Snap1 you see slow speeds.  On
> an older, more popular torrent you see faster speeds.  How is the torrent
> not behaving as it should again?

My download roared along at 700 to 800 KB/s until I had the same ~71% that
everyone else had, then my download speed dropped to 1 to 8 KB/s.  The
leechers are happily sharing everything they've got, but everyone has the
same chunks.  The one seed is passing out "virgin" chunks at about 5 KB/s.
At that rate, it'll take another 24 hours before anyone has the whole
thing, at which point _everyone_ will have it.

When I look at the peer list, the only people getting more than 8 KB/s
are those with less than 71% completion.  They can receive chunks from
many sources.  Everyone else has to wait for the one seed to send out
something new.

I'm running bittorrent-4.4.0.

                 Do NOT delete it.