[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 22:00:32 UTC 2008

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 4:55 PM, Henrique Junior <henriquecsj at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, everyone,
> I would like to share with you an situation related to Fedora's time
> of life that comes to me in recent days.
> I was recently promoted to Software Manager in the governmental
> partition where I work. Next year we've plans to migrate 500 Linux
> desktop stations and, in the last month, finished the migration of all
> servers to CentOS.
> The question that worries me is that, despite the willingness to use
> Fedora, dealing with an "end of life" of 13 months can make Fedora
> impractical in these 500 desktops. I'll be pressed to use Ubuntu and
> even got to think about maintain by myself an repository for
> maintaining, maybe, the most important RPMs always updated even if the
> Fedora come to the inevitable 13 months of use.
> Perhaps it is time to seek volunteers to bring back the Fedora Legacy
> and see if more people are interested this time.
>
> Regards from Brazil

A few points/questions:
* Does CentOS not meet your desktop needs?
* You should have a local repo for 500 machines anyways. You don't
want untested updates going to your 500 machines
* I don't think you're going to label running your desktops on a
Ubuntu LTS release as a "bad thing"
* As I understand it, Fedora Legacy died out of lack of interest, not
due to some intentional action

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )