Suggested packaging guideline: avoid running autoreconf

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sun Oct 12 08:09:57 UTC 2008

Le samedi 11 octobre 2008 à 21:35 -0400, Braden McDaniel a écrit :
> On Sun, 2008-10-12 at 01:19 +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> > I wonder if we shouldn't even start treating generated autotools files the same
> > way as binary JARs (for which the packaging guidelines mandate that they have
> > to be removed and rebuilt from source). They're all generated files.
>
> Probably the reason there is no guideline treating all generated files
> the same way is that doing so is a really dumb idea.

Probably the reason there is no guideline treating all generated files
the same way is some groups of packagers are lazier than others.

See, I can make inflamatory comments too.

IMHO there is no reason to allow any pre-generated file except when the
generating chain is not packaged in Fedora. As Kevin wrote refusing to
re-generate files because of peotential breakage is only papering over
tool bugs. Also it's legaly borderline for everything which is (L)GPL.

--
Nicolas Mailhot