[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 15:21:59 UTC 2008

Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
> * Patrice Dumas [12/10/2008 14:43] :
>> I really can't see how you can say that. Look at the setup of rpmfusion,
>
> Rpmfusion chose to duplicate the Fedora infrastructure (bugzilla, CVS+FAS,
> mailman, the works). This is much more difficult and goes above and beyond
> the requirements for a third party repo to get started.
>
>> for example, it is clearly not something I can undertake myself.
>
> Once again, if you do not have the manpower to setup an infrastructure,
> you do not have the manpower to support @code + @base . This is why
> you need to start by building a community.

But the first question should be why a separate community is necessary.
  Why is it not possible for one of fedora's goals to be to provide a
clean transition to RHEL or Centos at the end of certain development
cycles, at which point EPEL/Rpmfusion, etc. would be unnecessary as
separate entities since that fedora cycle's repository would be directly
usable as-is and would simply need to be maintained instead of the
various 3rd party versions that have been necessary to fill this void?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com