[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Mon Oct 13 00:45:01 UTC 2008

Henrique Junior <henriquecsj at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to share with you an situation related to Fedora's time
> of life that comes to me in recent days.
> I was recently promoted to Software Manager in the governmental
> partition where I work. Next year we've plans to migrate 500 Linux
> desktop stations and, in the last month, finished the migration of all
> servers to CentOS.
> The question that worries me is that, despite the willingness to use
> Fedora, dealing with an "end of life" of 13 months can make Fedora
> impractical in these 500 desktops. I'll be pressed to use Ubuntu and
> even got to think about maintain by myself an repository for
> maintaining, maybe, the most important RPMs always updated even if the
> Fedora come to the inevitable 13 months of use.
> Perhaps it is time to seek volunteers to bring back the Fedora Legacy
> and see if more people are interested this time.

Isn't CentOS enough for your desktop use?

Futzing around with two philosphies of how to handle packages,
configuration, etc is very definitely not fun. We had such a setup for a
time (Solaris on SPARC servers and Red Hat on workstations (yes, it was
long ago)), and we moved the SPARCs to Red Hat as soon as practical.

Later we moved to Fedora everywhere (needed in lab workstations, where
users demand latest bling), but it was a pain on the server side, so we
settled on CentOS there.
Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile 2340000       Fax:  +56 32 2797513