[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Emmanuel Seyman emmanuel.seyman at club-internet.fr
Mon Oct 13 09:28:34 UTC 2008

* Les Mikesell [13/10/2008 09:57] :

> Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
>
>> There's a notion called freedom that you may have heard of.
>
> And how is that specific to Fedora?  I meant as opposed to a system
> where you can actually deploy something that needs stability.

There are few distributions that I consider as free as Fedora and
none that I would consider more free.

> Local development for things you want to put into production progresses
> at about the same rate as the system itself.  If you wait for an
> enterprise version's release before starting, you'll be about a year and
> a half behind.  If you develop on the previous enterprise version, there
> will be a huge version jump in libraries, database versions, jvms, etc.
> that will require changes and not take advantage of new capabilities.

This sounds like you have an issue with the entreprise distributions and
you're trying to shoehorn Fedora into being a stopgap solution for it.
Why don't you work with the entreprise distributions' communities to
find a better solution ?

Emmanuel