OpenOffice and go-oo

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Mon Oct 13 13:19:57 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 16:01 +0300, Muayyad AlSadi wrote:
> go-oo fits well with fedora as it (the things I care about)
> rely on gst

As I said, we apply the gstreamer set of patches. FWIW Fedora was the
distro that provided the additional patches (now in vanilla) to place
all the *other* legacy audio stuff in OOo up on top of the audio-visual
stack which sits on that Novell-provided gstreamer base.

> one can drop java and ship openoffice on a livecd (like other distros)
> (although I don't care about 3D transitions)

Both go-ooo.org and vanilla can be configured using --without-java and
both will then suffer from (in 3.0) missing help search capability, and
various other random bits of java-requiring functionality. i.e.
openoffice.org-base needs hsqldb to work for the local .odb format and
hsqldb needs java to work. The help search requires lucene, and the xslt
style-sheet filter stuff needs saxon. Its wrong to think that the
go-ooo.org OOo doesn't need java to be completely functional.

C.