reviving Fedora Legacy

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Mon Oct 13 14:03:13 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 8:38 AM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:

> True, at the time RHEL5 was new, it had been more or less a rebuilt
> FC5/6 and switching between them had not been a major problem.
>
> Nowadays, it isn't anymore and even will be less when FC10 comes out.
>
> I.e. to today's FC7 or FC8 users, RHEL5 or CentOS5 are not viable
> alternatives. They are kind of a flashback to yesterday's state-of-art.

Well, DUH!

Long term stability is achieved by *NOT ADDING NEW FEATURES*.  *ADDING
NEW FEATURES INTRODUCES NEW BUGS*
*YOU CAN'T HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO*

Sorry for shouting, but all of these people demanding a "Fedora LTS"
don't seem to get this fundamental point.

I mean really, if RHEL5 switched from KDE3.5 to KDE4.0 I'd be
screaming bloody murder. Or even from BIND 9.3 to BIND 9.5.  Or
whatever.

--
Jeff Ollie

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then
I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the
terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve
them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and
unfairness of the universe."

	-- Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5: "A Late Delivery from Avalon"