reviving Fedora Legacy

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 15:46:34 UTC 2008

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

>>> Which problem do you have with the transition from Fedora x to
>>> Fedora
>>> x+1?
>> Massive breakage...  Compatibility with the jpackage repo would be one
>> example.
>
> This is not a Fedora LTS (or even jpackage) problem,

Changing APIs and thus becoming incompatible with everything that
depended on them is very much a Fedora problem - or perhaps better
stated as a Fedora user's problem.

> it's an artifact
> of the historical OS/java split produced by closed JVMs.

No, it is an artifact of wildly changing APIs.  That was just an obvious
example.  The same applies to apache/perl/python and just about every
other package versioning.

> It will heal itself as the jvm is internalised and the jpp <-> fedora
> flow gets more dynamic.

I'm nowhere near that optimistic.  I expect more of the usual fedora
syndrome where everything must become part of the internal repository
and carefully tweaked to match today's weirdness to be expected to work
at all, instead of working to match and maintain standard APIs and
compatibility with 3rd party work.   And then between fedora releases,
the internal weirdness makes wild jumps so even your own development
work that depended on earlier APIs has to start over.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com