reviving Fedora Legacy

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Mon Oct 13 16:06:48 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 11:00 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
>>
>> Well it really depends on what I was building.  If I was developing a
>> new desktop application what you say might make sense.  If I was
>> developing an e-commerce web site you'd be nuts to do that.
>
> But then you'd probably use java to isolate yourself as much as possible
> from silly API changes in OS and distributions...  And fedora hasn't been a
> great place to use java.

I'm not a Java developer (I've written a few "Hello World" type things
but nothing more complex than that) but from what I've seen from
deploying a few Java-based systems is that while the "core" Java API
may be stable, "real-world" Java systems have dependencies on things
like Tomcat/Apache or other similar systems and are highly dependent
on particular versions of those apps and associated libraries.

--
Jeff Ollie

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then
I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the
terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve
them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and
unfairness of the universe."

	-- Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5: "A Late Delivery from Avalon"