reviving Fedora Legacy

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Tue Oct 14 04:37:03 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 9:39 PM, Chris Weyl <cweyl at alumni.drew.edu> wrote:

> What does it say about freedom, when we say
> "Use Fedora and be free! ...except, you know, how you want to."  Why
> are we spending so much time and effort saying no, instead of getting
> out of the way of those who are interested in doing it and watching it
> succeed or fail on its merits?

"We" are saying no because "they" want "us" to do something, rather
than doing it themselves.  All of the software that goes into
producing Fedora is free (in both the Beer and Speech senses).  What
*isn't* free is the infrastructure that goes into producing Fedora
releases (the power/cooling/bandwidth/hardware as well as the time of
the various employees and volunteers).   *I* think that Red Hat has
been extremely generous in letting us use that infrastructure to build
a cool distribution like Fedora.

But why should Red Hat (and those of us that believe in the current
Fedora mission) let that infrastructure and perhaps more importantly
the Fedora brand get used for some "Fedora LTS" project?  Based upon
the failure of the Fedora Legacy project and the most recent
discussion there are only a few people interested in volunteering
their time to such a project.  And from what I've seen in this latest
discussion the LTS project goals are either ill-defined or
overambitious or both.

--
Jeff Ollie

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then
I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the
terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve
them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and
unfairness of the universe."

	-- Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5: "A Late Delivery from Avalon"