reviving Fedora Legacy

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Oct 15 00:32:13 UTC 2008

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Matthew Woehlke (mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net) said:
>> Bill Nottingham wrote:
>>> To put it a different way - would you buy a car whose extended warranty
>>> won't tell you what it covers, or for how long, and tells you it's subject
>>> to change *AT ANY TIME*? If so, I think I've got some cars to sell you.
>> Have you ever bought a used car?
>>
>> People drive cars not under warranty because they know that, if
>> something goes wrong, they can either fix it themselves (for those who
>> are hobby mechanics) or pay someone to fix it. The same goes for a
>> distro; if you need an update and there is no support, you can always
>> build it yourself or pay someone to build it for you (which is, after
>> all, sort of the point of Free Software).
>
> Right, that's what we have now. What he's suggesting is some sort
> of 'other' warranty that can expire at any time, and which packages/
> parts of the car are covered can change at any time. I know of *no one*
> who gets that sort of warranty.

Well, if it were free, I might... well, I can't say I'd buy it, because
I'm not buying anything :-). I'll let all y'all argue amongst yourselves
if that's better or worse than nothing.

However... your original analogy didn't ask if I'd buy a /warranty/, it
asked if I'd buy a /car/.

--
Matthew
Oh, the double-entendre!