compat-python, Zope...

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Wed Oct 15 07:12:54 UTC 2008

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> James Antill wrote:
>> On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 13:02 +0200, Oliver Falk wrote:
>>
>>> First of all: I *will* package compat-python and Zope/Plone, because I
>>> need it at work. The only question is if Fedora/FESCo wants me to share
>>> my work with the Fedora community or not!
>>  From what I remember the previous person who wanted python in Fedora
>> was also willing to create/maintain a compat-python24 package. But
>> that's not the only problem.
>>
>>> I can think of a Python 2.4 package that lives within the Zope tree to
>>> make it extra hard for others to use it by accident - but I don't think
>>> that this would be neat, seen from a FHS point of view.
>>  In some ways this might be doable, at least it has less pain points
>> than packaging it "properly".
>>
>>> I'm not a big fan of third party repositories. DOT. This would lead to
>>> an extra discussion...
>>>
>>> a) I maintain Zope/Plone (+ deps, eg. compat-python) in Fedora
>>> b) I maintain it on my *private* company repo
>>> c) NOTE!: I guess this will lead to packages a la
>>> compat-python24-{elementtree,feedparser,imaging,lxml,setuptools,psycopg}
>>> and maybe a whole bunch of others...
>>  C is the biggest problem, in that "someone" has to dup all the modules
>> people need ... which also need to be kept in sync. ... and you need to
>> make sure that python-foo doesn't pull in compat-python24-bar (and vice
>> versa).
>>

> If C really is the biggest issue, we could look at what Debian is doing
> in this area.  They have a package (I think it's called python-central
> although that might be the old package and they have a newer one that
> takes its place) which aids them in putting the python source modules in
> a central store.  Then the modules are byte compiled for every python
> that is installed on the system.  I'm not certain of how it works or
> whether it is hacky in practice, just aware of its existence.

You mean, if someone installs python-foo, it gets compiled for all
compat-python?? and python installed on the system? I don't think this a
very good idea (sounds like this
kernel-module-automagic-rebuild-for-new-kernel-whatever-it-was-called
stuff. dkms or such!?).

How can we make sure the module *really* compiles if not done inside of
koji? And you put an extra effort on all python-foo packagers, as they
might need to maintain patches for the old pythons...

> Is there anyone here with some Debian experience who can point us to a
> better piece of information than what I just gave?

I'm - of course - interested in this 'technology', but I don't think
it's good for Fedora.

-of