compat-python, Zope...

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Wed Oct 15 08:01:16 UTC 2008

Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 09:17:25AM +0200, Oliver Falk wrote:
>> I've taken these packages as a starting point. I will need additional
>> python modules and I do also need compat-python23 and why not take these
>> packages into Fedora. Why is everyone wicked about maintaining packages
>> in a third party repository? I know rpmfusion and most packages seem to
>> be quite good. What's the reason for not taking them into Fedora -
>> except those packages with non-floss licenses?
>
> This should be the only reason. I think that preventing packagers to do
> compat package is wrong.

At least one person who's on my side :-)

 > But in general FESCO give reason to the main
> packager (and if I remembmer well it was also the case of a parallel
> installable newer version).
 >
> In my opinion, instead, packagers should be co-maintaining the main
> version when they do a compat package, and that's all.

It's python, it's the holy (Fedora/Red Hat) grail. I think only people
on the Red Hat payroll are allowed to commit to python CVS, isn't it?
:-P Sorry, no offense!

I think the main version packagers should allowed to have commit access
to the compat packages instead. In case compat packager breaks main
version, the main version packager can fix it...

-of