minimum memory requirements

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Oct 16 16:07:54 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 10:44 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:

> To be fair, they probably didn't have a desktop to carry along for the
> ride. But then I guess I could counter that the problem here is I
> couldn't even run the installer with less than 384MB RAM. I dropped it
> down to 256MB after install but then had to bump it back up again - and
> I expect the first time I run yum I'll want to put it back to 512MB.
>
> I had been trying to reduce VM memory sizes to run more at once...

You haven't yet stated your install type and method, which can make a
huge difference.

Graphical install type, booted from just vmlinuz and initrd.img and
subsequently downloading stage2 from the network is going to have
a /much/ higher memory footprint than if you were to boot from boot.iso
(which has stage2 on it), do a text mode install from whatever method.

You see, if you have to download stage2, you're downloading it to memory
based filesystem and losing that much memory just to the storage of the
file.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!