Sendmail still default?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Oct 17 12:49:31 UTC 2008

Le Ven 17 octobre 2008 14:39, Les Mikesell a écrit :

> Lutz Lange wrote:
>>

>> i've just wondered why sendmail is still the default MTA in Fedora.
>> Please enlighten me?
>
> It works.

Sort of

> It can be configured to do just about anything.

Like others

> Everyone who
> has every worked with a unix-like system is used to it.

No

>  Every program
> written for unix-like systems is likely to expect it to be installed.

They only expect the sendmail interface alternatives are also providing

> Even though the original design and code weren't particularly secure,
> the current version is probably one of the most audited pieces of code
> and

And upstream has such a confidence in the result they're rewriting it
from scratch.

> the milter capability lets you extend it with features that don't
> share the full permissions of the main process yet can interact in
> real time during delivery.

Milter is supported by alternatives too

Not that I particularly want to shoot ambulances, but those are not
good arguments.

--
Nicolas Mailhot