Sendmail still default?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 13:13:06 UTC 2008

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

>>> i've just wondered why sendmail is still the default MTA in Fedora.
>>> Please enlighten me?
>> It works.
>
> Sort of

What does that mean?  It delivers most of the mail on the internet and
always has.

>> Even though the original design and code weren't particularly secure,
>> the current version is probably one of the most audited pieces of code
>> and
>
> And upstream has such a confidence in the result they're rewriting it
> from scratch.

And its not the first time.  All good programs are periodically
rewritten and improved.

>> the milter capability lets you extend it with features that don't
>> share the full permissions of the main process yet can interact in
>> real time during delivery.
>
> Milter is supported by alternatives too

They pretend to, but won't actually run complex milters like MimeDefang.

> Not that I particularly want to shoot ambulances, but those are not
> good arguments.

Sorry, but I don't see any counterargument here.  The alternatives are
all worse.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com