old release bugs handling

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Fri Oct 17 17:31:18 UTC 2008

Hello,

When looking at the infra after eol issue, Toshio made me aware that
nothing special is done for bugzilla in eol branches. Maybe it would
be nice to have bugs filled against old branches associated with
another product, such that they are easier to triage, and owner
doesn't get those bugs automatically? As a disclaimer I know nothing
about both the technical issues and the organizational issues involved
by that proposal. The idea could be along (provided it is technically
feasible):

* when a bug is filled against an old release in the current fedora
  product, the product is automatically changed to 'fedora EOL'
  (or 'fedora Legacy' if that product is to be reused), which means
  that they don't necessarily go to the same mail adress than current
  releases. Also there is an automatic answer for those bugs, along:

'You are reporting a bug against an unsupported fedora release, you
are urged to upgrade, and retry with the new release'.

* the owner of this product is the owner of one of the old releases,
  for example could be the owner of F7 currently. That way, if this
  release is orphaned by the maintainer, he won't get bug reports
  for the old branch anymore. I would even suggest mass orphaning such
  that the default is that the maintainer doesn't get those bugs.

Then people interested in triaging bugs for old releases could be
subscribed to the adress all the product bugs are forwarded to,
such that they can triage the bugs.

Of course this would make more sense in case the infra was left
open for old releases, as there would be people specifically interested
in triaging those bugs and also interested in becoming maintainers
of old branches, but even if the proposal to keep infra open for old
branches is rejected --- and I am almost sure that it will be
rejected --- it could still be something relevant to do.

Thoughts?

PS: tell me if this is better to ask that kind of question on the infra
list.

--
Pat