Status of libtool 2.2.X?

Braden McDaniel braden at endoframe.com
Sat Oct 18 04:16:02 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 06:20 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Braden McDaniel wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 06:34 -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> >
> >> blackbox: needs AC_PROG_CXX
> >
> > I see no reason at all for this to be running autoreconf. (A comment
> > claims it gets rid of an rpath; I'd be a little surprised if this were
> > still true.)
> >
> *scratches head* If this is using an old, unpatched version of libtool,
> wouldn't it add the rpath until a new version of libtool is inserted
> into the package?  So it will be true until upstream is updated to use a
> new version of libtool?
>
> >> bmpx: needs AC_PROG_CXX
> >
> > Actually, the problem is that it patches both configure.ac and
> > configure.  Presumably the timestamps don't line up right as a result
> > and "make" triggers regenerating stuff.  Either the patch to
> > configure.ac should be culled or the timestamps need massaging.
> > (There's also a patch to soup.m4 that just looks goofy.)
> >
> Please stop giving bad advice (I think you're doing it in the interests
> of brevity but still.) Telling people to have two patches, one for
> configure.ac and one for configure and making sure the configure.ac
> patch is applied before the configure patch is good advice, continue
> doing that!  But using phrases like "or do it right and patch configure"
> and "the patch to configure.ac should be culled" is bad advice; it
> leaves people who read this thread and do not understand autotools with
> the idea that a patch to configure *alone* is the best way to make
> changes.  This is not true as we still want to have something to send to
> upstream and a patch to configure, Makefile.in, or any other generated
> files is not what upstream wants to see.

"Only patch configure" is not bad advice.  *Including* a patch to
configure.ac--in the source RPM and/or in revision control--is
sufficient to satisfy any requirement for an upstream-worthy patch.
*Applying* a patch to configure.ac when you're also applying a patch to
configure can only do harm.  It defeats the purpose of patching
configure.

--
Braden McDaniel                           e-mail: <braden at endoframe.com>
<http://endoframe.com>                    Jabber: <braden at jabber.org>