Collapsing DVD and CD torrents into one

nodata lsof at nodata.co.uk
Sun Oct 19 12:35:50 UTC 2008

Am Freitag, den 17.10.2008, 12:49 -0700 schrieb Jesse Keating:
> Most torrent clients I've seen today allow you to pick and choose which
> files you wish to download.  As such, does it make sense to collapse the
> DVD and CD torrents into a single torrent and allow people to use the
> client to pick which they want?  Are there pros/cons to this?

Well, what's the benefit of your proposal?
Who does it benefit?

The usual way for people to download files is that they find the file
they want, click on it, and then they get the file. It's the same with
bittorrent. I want the DVD, I click the "DVD torrent", I get the DVD.

Most users will want the DVD *OR* the CDs. Why is it a Good Thing for
them to download both, and have to do even extra work to get what they
wanted? Surely we want to make it easier for them.