repodata and comps.xml filenames in hexadecimal?

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Mon Oct 20 03:03:33 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 20:35 -0200, Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
> Jesse Keating wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 14:54 -0400, G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
> >>
> >> I know someone is working on a rewrite of some of the stuff dealing with
> >> repodata and comps.xml.  I notice today that the names of the files in
> >> repodata have the hexadecimal checksums prepended.   Is this the new
> >> "standard" or is there a bug in the generation scripts?
> >
> > It's a new standard.  The repodata files are uniquely named which helps
> > many things such as proxies.
> >

> Is there a reason why the uniqueness part is prepended rather than
> appended? It's kinda hard to tell which file is which when browsing
> repositories.
>
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/development/i386/os/repodata/

 There was a reason, but noone can remember it atm. :)

> I realize that you probably won't browse the repodata directory too
> often, but just in case it didn't make a difference, I thought it would
> be kinda nice to be able to tell one from the other, on the few
> occations where you actually might need to do so... :-)

 It's kinda more user visible than that, because on a 80 character wide
terminal all you can see is the sha1 sum codes when the file is
downloading (although you can see the name when one has finished).
 So either myself or seth will probably take a look at changing it to be
something like primary-<sha1>.sqlite.bz2 etc. ... but we'll have to live
with it as is for at least Fedora 10.

--
James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org>
Fedora