None of the Above (was Re: Sendmail still default?)

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Tue Oct 21 14:50:35 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 10:33:43AM -0400, Alan Cox wrote:

> Actually that I question somewhat. Both POSIX and the LSB require local mail
> delivery services. A suprising number of applications that don't currently
> specify sendmail dependancies appear to use it. Have a grep...

Every package with application that calls /usr/sbin/sendmail should
require that file. Isn't it the case? If you know about cases like that,
tell, I'll file bugs.

Now this is only part of the story since currently programs that don't
do local delivery, or are not configured for local delivery out-of-the-box
provides /usr/sbin/sendmail. I think that is is right, but maybe a
virtual dependency, like mail(local) is needed somewhere to force
installation of an app that does local delivery, either as a dependency,
or as part of the default install, though there is no agreement on that
currently.

--
Pat