[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 17:33:28 UTC 2008

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 00:23:48 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> > You're going to have to expound on that. I do not see Centos in any
> > way as in competition with Fedora.
>
> EPEL drains away resources from Fedora.

I wish it were like that. EPEL is just another build target. It's a
dumping-ground for Fedora pkg spec files. It's getting filled with
trial-and-error builds. Just observe how many build deps are missing, the
build jobs fail, and the packager strips a spec till it builds. With no
evidence that the packagers spend much time on EPEL that is missing
elsewhere -- it's not as if they do back-porting or similar work where
Fedora Legacy failed due to lack of man-power/volunteers. Version upgrades
are done in EPEL in the same careless way as in Fedora, except that this
road will lead to a dead end somewhere, because EPEL and RHEL are
separately controlled and developed. [We've had similar cases with Fedora
Extras before, where upgrades in Core became necessary.]