[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 13:16:12 UTC 2008

Rex Dieter wrote:

>>> Well, seems like the community is being solely gobbled up by
>>> individuals who are both negative and non constructive.
>> That shouldn't be surprising for a project that doesn't value backwards
>> compatibility, stability, or interoperability with any third party
>> components.
>
> Blame too those upstream projects who introduce these changes, fedora is
> just a collection of all those items.

So you'll ship any sort of breakage with no regard to the interfaces you
promoted last month?

> Is there similar outrage against them as well?  Where is it?

There are reasons that people run distributions instead of compiling the
head of every upstream source themselves.  Consider the contrast between
RHEL's shielding users from incompatible upstream changes for many years
at a time to what fedora ships.   I realize that it isn't easy or even
always possible to add new features without breaking old ones or
interfaces, but that's what people want.  And it is what they are used
to from commercial OS's.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com