[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 13:57:52 UTC 2008

David Woodhouse wrote:

>>> Blame too those upstream projects who introduce these changes, fedora is
>>> just a collection of all those items.
>> So you'll ship any sort of breakage with no regard to the interfaces you
>> promoted last month?
>
> Of course not. We take care to ensure that when interfaces change, every
> Fedora package is updated to cope.

Leaving everything all 3rd party work that tries to cooperate and a
user's own previous work useless.  If a commercial system did that,
they'd be out of business in a heartbeat.  A free distribution doesn't
have the same reasons to care about cooperation, but from the user's
perspective its all the same - if you can't count on interfaces being
maintained, a platform simply isn't worth the effort.

Whatever happened to the concept of an LSB definition that was complete
enough to permit apps to run unchanged across distributions?  We need
something like that spanning at least 3 concurrent versions of fedora.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com