[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 15:01:29 UTC 2008

Rex Dieter wrote:

>>> Blame too those upstream projects who introduce these changes, fedora is
>>> just a collection of all those items.
>> So you'll ship any sort of breakage with no regard to the interfaces you
>> promoted last month?
>
> Thanks for putting words into my and fedora's mouth.

Actually I'm trying to give a user's perspective.  As a closed black
box, fedora might work.  I want to use 3rd party drivers, components,
apps, etc. but can't deal with them breaking every few months.

> OK, I'll bite a bit...
> when it's the choice of shipping an older unsupported version of software
> vs. latest/supported, sometimes, yeah.  It's a tough choice to have to
> make.

Older/newer isn't quite the point here - it is more about why it is
necessary to break old functionality to add new or improved.  Start with
the premise that fedora repositories don't and cannot contain all the
software that I want to run and perhaps you can see why interface change
is painful.

> Unanswered:
>> Is there similar outrage against upstreams as well?  Where is it?

Yes, to whatever extent upstream refuses to respect their own interfaces
as contracts with other programmers they deserve outrage as well.  But,
you don't have to ship that stuff.  Maybe if no one did, they'd decide
it was worth stabilizing interfaces to a point where others could cooperate.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com