kde needs mysql-server ??

Christopher Stone chris.stone at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 16:24:39 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 7:01 AM, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:

> Enrico Scholz wrote:
>
> > Do you mean:
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi#Can_Akonadi_use_a_normal_MySQL_server_running_on_my_system.3F
> > ?  --> akonadi doees not need a local mysql-server but can use a mysql
> > server running somewhere else.
>
> Theoretically, yes.  The default config is to use a local one, however.
>
> -- Rex

mysql-server should not be a requirement then.  If it is possible to run the
server on another machine, then the mysql-server should be removed from the
Requires.

I do the exact same thing with one of my packages, poker-server.
poker-server *requires* a mysql-server, but does not require that it be run
on the same machine.  Therefore mysql-server should *NOT* be in the Requires
list.