Plan for tomorrows (20081022) FESCO meeting

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Wed Oct 22 16:55:55 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 22 October 2008, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 14:32:13 -0400
>
> > /topic FESCo-Meeting -- Features - Sbin Sanity -
> > https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-October/msg00337.h
> >tml - Ville Skyttä
>
> Are the feature owners going to be there to defend their feature?
> I think that those folks having problems with tab completion or sudo
> now will be much more able to modify their setup than the millions of
> people who get confused because they can't run ifconfig after 'su' or
> just as their user to gather information.
>
> So, my vote would be to keep the feature as it is, but add
> documentation or other info to help the folks that are negatively
> impacted by this feature to get their setup back to the way they like.
> Release notes?

One of the crucial points is that once */sbin is in PATH for everyone, things
will start assuming that those things indeed are always in PATH.  After that,
local modifications that remove */sbin from PATH will result in breakage and
thus _cannot_ be feasibly done.

Reverting this feature *now* is just about the last possibility to do it
without inflicting breakage.  It will delay getting "millions of people who
get confused" unconfused somewhat (== until F-11 I guess, and incremental
improvements are easy to make later on as/if we find places to do them - even
to earlier distro versions), but as I've said many times, IMNSHO (and not
only mine) slight delay is a lot better than either the messy "*/sbin in PATH
for good" result, or later trying to pry */sbin ouf of there, causing
breakage.