Window / Screen question

Casey Dahlin cdahlin at redhat.com
Wed Oct 22 20:43:58 UTC 2008

Nathanael D. Noblet wrote:

>> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 9:52 PM, Nathanael D. Noblet
>> <nathanael at gnat.ca> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>  This isn't a fedora question specifically, however just thought I'd
>>> run it
>>> by to get some feedback.
>>>
>>>  I've had a multi-card/multi-monitor setup for a few months now. It
>>> has been
>>> a royal pain. (Only the closed drivers can handle it unfortunately).
>>> I was
>>> talking to the radeon/ati driver people and have been informed that
>>> multi-card setups don't get much love from either the driver
>>> developers or
>>> upstream/xorg. So I've figured I may move from 3 monitors back to 2
>>> larger
>>> (24") monitors. So after that history, here comes the idea...
>>>
>>>  I'm wondering if it is possible to have 'fake' monitor
>>> borders/dimensions.
>>> So you instruct xorg/gnome/xinerama or whatever that the 1900 pixel
>>> width is
>>> 2/3rd + 1/3rd. If I were to click maximize within either of those
>>> imaginary
>>> borders, it would maximize to that size instead of the 1900 px
>>> width. If I
>>> double clicked, it would then go fullscreen...
>>>
>>> Does this sound at all useful? Opinions / critiques...
>
> > Sounds like tiling windowmanagers. dwm from http://suckless.org ?
>
> Does gnome support this? That would be very nice.

I don't know that I agree with Nathaniel's recommendation. Tiled window
managers do a lot of neat things, and are worth checking out, but I
don't think they solve your problem specifically.

XRandR might be able to be coaxed into doing what you want. You also
might be able to get Compiz to display 3 workspaces across 2 monitors.

--CJD