Too early emails about updates?

Luke Macken lmacken at redhat.com
Thu Oct 23 23:52:52 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 09:28:41PM +0400, Dmitry Butskoy wrote:
> Recently something was changed in a way how update reports go to
> fedora-package-announce list.
>
> Previously, at a time when I received such emails, the correspond
> updates was already presented at the primary Fedora repository. Now, I
> receive emails, but the updates are still missing.
>
> Certainly nobody can demand that recent updates appear on mirrors too
> soon. But at the primary site, the previous behaviour (ie. first in
> repo, then email report) would be preferable. Some people download
> updates manually (fe. "yum --downloadonly" into a local repository, then
> check source/changelog, then update local hosts etc.). This disorder
> causes them to remember that they should re-check repositories later.

Nothing has changed recently with regard to how/when update
notifications are sent out.  After composing the repositories, bodhi
waits until they hit the master mirror, and then sends out the notices
to the fedora-package-announce list (among doing many other things as
well).

With regard to today's updates push, a stale koji session caused an
explosion to occur before the build tags were even moved.  Then,
resuming the push skipped the moving of the builds and went ahead and
sent their notices even when they did not appear in the repositories.
I'm going to be making bodhi's masher a bit more robust with regard to
handling and recovering from unexpected issues like this soon.  I've
since fixed all of the tags, and fresh repositories are mashing as we
speak.

Thanks for speaking up about this.  Since bodhi waits for the repos to
hit the mirrors before sending update announcements, if you notice
missing packages, please file a ticket against bodhi or rel-eng asap so
we can fix it.

Thanks,

luke