libgdl-2.24.0: libgdl-gnome-1.so dropped

Alex Lancaster alexl at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Oct 27 15:10:27 UTC 2008

AL> Thanks.  Unfortunately it appears that this affects gnome-python2
AL> as well:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> And sure enough gnome-python2-extras fails to rebuild after this
>> change because it can't find certain gdl files:

> I filed this: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/468698

> Due to the lack of comments on the GNOME bugzilla about the proposed
> patch, I am reluctant to apply that patch on the Fedora package, of
> which I am neither the maintainer nor the co-maintainer.

Thanks for filing the bug.  The patch doesn't apply in any case.
Nevertheless, it would be good to pester the maintainer of the
gnome-python2-extras and help him look into it, given that it was your
soname bump of libgdl that caused the problem in the first place. :)

I'm not trying to pick on you (because at least you announced the
change on f-d-l), but, in general, it would be good if maintainers got
in the habit of always running repoquery when an soname bump is going
to happen to check exactly which packages a given soname depends on,
rather than guess.  Then the maintainer can co-ordinate with the
maintainers of the affected packages *in advance* (or rebuild them
yourself if sufficiently comfortable with the package), rather than
having broken deps in rawhide which last for several days (or weeks in
some cases).

Alex