X on tty1 in Rawhide/F10

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Tue Oct 28 13:17:57 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 02:40:51PM +0300, Dmitry Butskoy wrote:
> I hope it might be possible, by changing the order in upstart -- ie.
> first run mingetty, then gdm (as for years before). Perhaps also restore
> mingetty on tty1 ...
>
> By the way, I cannot understand why gdm, when running before mingetty
> (for better startup speed), must be run on tty1 only. It seems that it
> should be possible to run it before, but cause it to use tty7.
>
> It is insignificant for end users on what tty X run. But for other
> users, it is better to preserve compatibility with 10+ years.
>
> I can help to make changes for invoking X on tty7 instead of tty1 .

It seems an insignificant use case to keep compatibility with X on
tty7 compared to the benefits of progress--in this case one less VT
change on bootup means less flicker and faster bootup.  I've been
using Fedora/Red Hat for 10+ years and once the reason was pointed out
to me, I completely agree that this is a good move.  I'll adjust.